GSR&RC Owner Surrender Process
Before you proceed, please read the full content of our page “Before You Surrender". The material on this page is meant to help you think through all of your options so that you can make the most informed decision possible. Please take the time to read through it before you contact us.
If you have read all our material on these pages and tried all our suggestions, and still want to apply to surrender your GSD to us, we require that you complete an owner surrender application. That being said, it is important to realize that our funds and resources are limited, and as a small organization we need to work together to have the best chances to find your GSD a wonderful new home. Even though you are applying to surrender your GSD to us, continue to look for a good home for your GSD on your own. Please go to our page “Rehoming your GSD” for information that will help you find a good home for your GSD.
We will do our best to help you but understand we always have a list of GSDs waiting to get into our Rehome Program. We ask for your help, understanding and patience.
1. You must be a resident of New England. If you do not reside in New England, visit the American German Shepherd Rescue Association (www.agsra.com) for a list of German Shepherd Rescues in your state or region.
2. All owners of the dog must be in agreement about the decision to surrender.
3. An application is required to start the surrender process; there is no fee to apply.
4. Submission of an application does not guarantee the acceptance of your dog into our Rehome program.
5. You will need to supply copies of the dog's medical records.
6. You will need to supply two pictures of your dog, preferably a front and side view.
7. The speed at which your application is processed for surrender is dependent largely on how thoroughly and specifically you answer each question. Please do not leave any applicable question blank. Please include a detailed explanation for any question where you are asked to elaborate an answer.
8. Any misrepresentation of fact will be cause for denial of acceptance into our Rehome program.
9. If your application is accepted, your GSD must pass an evaluation. Arrangements will be made to have your dog evaluated by one of our trained evaluators. You may have to take your dog to the evaluation location.
When you apply please keep in mind that we are an all volunteer organization. Most of us have full time day jobs. We try to work as quickly as we can and ask for your understanding and patience.
We do not yet have a physical location where all of our dogs are housed. We are made up of a network of private foster homes and at times we utilize boarding. We never have enough foster homes and the ones we have are almost always filled.
We try to respond to every email as soon as possible. You may send follow up inquiries to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.